If you are one of those people who would like to bring a healthy lunch to work but have no access to a microwave or any reheating device you will find this recipe helpful. And if you are also a person who doesn´t have much time for meal preparation the evening before then you will love this recipe!
Bulgur is such an underrated grain, in my opinion. It is a less-known type of whole wheat grain which contains much more minerals than a regular wheat type and it is rich in iron and plant-based protein.
Bulgur is popular mainly in Turkey and Middle-East countries and the Western world knows it mostly thanks to tabbouleh but there are actually many different ways to use this nutrient-packed grain in the everyday cuisine – whether in soups, breakfast bowls, or salads. I like to combine it with red lentil and make energy bites out of the mixture (I wanted to call it “vegan balls” so much but how inappropriate would that be?!)
1 cup red lentil
1 cup bulgur
3 cups water
1 yellow onion
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper
- Rinse the lentils and cook them in the water until soft.
- Turn off the heat and add bulgur to the pot.
- Cover and let sit for 30 minutes or until all the liquid is gone.
- Finely chop an onion and sautée it in a splash of oil until translucent.
- Add the lentil & bulgur mixture to the pan.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper and stir to combine everything together.
- Let cool and then form small balls in your palms.
- Serve over fresh veggie salad
What I really love about this meal that it can be eaten both cold or warm depending on your options and preferences. I usually eat it slightly warm but there is nothing more comforting than eating it cold out of the fridge and with refreshing vegetables on hot days like these.
And if you would like to find more inspiration on healthy plant-based meals, visit my FB page where you will find tons of delicious recipes and interesting articles about vegan lifestyle. If you are more of a visual person, check out my Instagram 🙂
What do you like to eat if you don´t have the possibility to reheat your lunch?
Stay gold, friends!