Rejoice, my friends! Every time a recipe includes wine you know it is gonna be a hell of a good meal for sure 🙂 This one was the result of an emergency in my fridge when too many leeks were sitting there for way too long.
I like to prepare this salad in summer mostly because it can be served warm or cold. I like the cold version better as it has a nice, refreshing effect on my body. It is also a great side dish for you BBQ essentials.
I think this meal is one of those which make your friends cringe after hearing the name of it but once they have a mouthful, they will worship you 😉
Leek is so underrated! If you ask people what recipes with leek they know, the majority will name the leek soup and then they are done. But is that all that there is? Leek is an awesome vegetable – it helps prevent cardiovascular diseases, keeps the linings of our blood vessels in a good state and it contains an impressive amount of antioxidants. So it is a shame that we do not cook leeks way more often!
When I was thinking about the way to cook the leeks that were sitting in my pantry I knew that another leek soup was not the answer. It was a hot summer day (like most of the days are now, anyway) and I was looking for something refreshing and simple. No big effort, not a large number of ingredients. Something on a slightly unusual side. And I found it. The good news: it contains WINE!
* If you use the wine but you do not feel up to the drink-the-whole-bottle-alone challenge here is a good trick – pour the remaining wine in the ice cube form and freeze it – like this, you will have wine ready to use anytime you need it for another recipe without having to open a new bottle!*
This recipe will get your heart screaming (and not only because leeks are good for the heart!). It is so easy and so quickly done, yet the combination of wine and thyme makes wonders. You can leave out the wine of course, but I think the meal will lose its subtle taste. Another positive thing – you can decide whether to serve it warm or cold!
Leeks on wine (serves 4):
4 tablespoons oil
6 medium leeks
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic
100 ml water
50 ml white wine
2 tablespoons thyme
3 bay leaves
salt and pepper
How to cook it:
- Heat the oil in a larger saucepan.
- Add the leeks cut in about 3 cm pieces, red onion and tomatoes cut into cubes and minced garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes on high heat.
- Lower the heat and pour the wine and water in.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and let simmer until the leeks are soft.
- Uncover and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
And that´s it! How simple is that? If you want a satisfying side dish to almost any meal, this one will be perfect for it – serve it warm. If you are looking for a light dinner, serve the leek salad cold with a slice of whole-grain bread. Either way is delicious and exotic.
Let me know if you liked the recipe and don´t forget to follow my FB page for more delicious vegan meals and tips on nutrition!
Have a great day!