Have you ever loved a country´s cuisine so much that you started to wonder if there was any chance that you had been born in the said country in your previous life? It happens to me a lot. I swear to God that I must have been a Mexican muchacha at some point! Put anything chilli with beans and corn in front of me and it will disappear sooner than you´ll say “taco”. And don´t get me started on corn bread. The perfect thing about Mexican cuisine is the fact that almost every meal can be easily turned into its vegan-friendly version.
This soup is heaven-sent. I am not kidding. I have cooked many kinds of soups but this one somehow wins everyone´s heart. And no wonder – any meal containing corn and beans is filling and comforting. Now, add the subtle taste of soft sweet potatoes and the crunchiness of corn chips, with a slightly spicy aftertaste. Don´t forget to savour the creamy avocado and the fresh red onion on top, with a few drops of lemon juice. Poetry has never been easier.
What makes this soup so special is the combination of all flavours – sweet (potatoes, cinnamon), salty (tortilla chips), sour (lemon), spicy (salsa) and bittersweet (cumin) are all balanced in a perfect way here in order to create a piece of art.
I am convinced that it tastes even better on the second day when all the flavours get really combined, but I have no luck in preserving as much as a single portion for the next day – it is always all gone after an hour. The ingredients you´ll need for this awesome recipe should be easily found in your pantry – and if not, they are dirt cheap (except maybe for salsa but salsa is not mandatory for the recipe). Reserve no more than an hour for cooking the soup – it is very easy and hassle-free.
1 large yellow onion
3 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cumin
a dash of chilli powder
3 cups water
1 cup vegetable broth
1 can chopped tomatoes
4 tablespoons hot salsa
2 cans (around 400 g) red kidney beans
1 can corn
salt and pepper
1 red onion
1 bag of tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Cut the onion into fine pieces and sautée until translucent.
- Chop the potatoes into thicker slices and cut each slice into quarters. Add them to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices – cinnamon, cumin, and chilli powder. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour in the water and vegetable broth.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salsa.
- Stir well and bring to boil.
- Once bubbling, lower the heat to a simmer. Throw in the beans and corn.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes (or until the potatoes are soft).
- Transfer the soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle a finely chopped red onion on top, add a few slices (or cubes) of avocado, and a little bit of lemon juice.
- Sprinkle pieces of a couple of tortilla chips on top and add a few chips on the side of the bowl.
Enjoy the best soup of your life!
The bean and corn chilli soup is: comforting, filling, balanced, autumny, colourful, surprising. Best shared with a huge family or with a group of amazing friends. Turns any shitty evening into a wonderful experience.